Holland Park Bowling Club and Lynndon Bowls Club have now fully amalgamated into the new club.
This condensed history of the Lynndon Bowling Club will help to give members, many of whom know nothing of the early days of the Club, some idea of the trials and tribulations encountered in the formation and financing of a Bowling Club.
Because the writer took part in the formation of the Club almost from its inception, and knows the amount of personal effort, and sometimes sacrifice, put into it by members, he-feels that members whose association with the Club is of a much shorter duration would like to know, too.
No account of this Club would be complete without an acknowledgment of the debt due by it to Mr. Martin McNamara foundation Chairman and President of the Lynndon Bowling Club .
The amount of work put into the formative stages by Martin was staggering.
With the experience gleaned from his work in Local Government, he proved an ideal man to straighten out the legal tangles associated with a venture of this kind.
It can be said without exaggeration that many hundreds of pounds were saved by the Club because of Martin's work.
Much valuable spade work was performed by other members, and to them this Booklet.is dedicated
C C LEVER (Secretary).
Early in 1950 Mr. J D Hiddle of Sterculia Street, Holland Park decided to subdivide a large parcel of land owned by him in that area.
Portion of this land formed part of the watershed from the surrounding hills, and comprised a wide and shallow gully, deeply overgrown with shrubs of all kinds.
To develop this land to the degree necessary to enable its sale as building blocks would entail a cost out of all proportion to any possible return, and it presented Mr. Hiddle with quite a problem.
Discussing it one day with a business associate, Mr. Bruce Martin, who was, amongst other things, a very keen bowler, Bruce said, why not form a bowling green on it? Mr. Hiddle was rather startled by the idea, but after some quiet thinking, saw definite possibilities in the scheme.
The upshot of it all was, that on Wednesday, August 30, 1950, a meeting was held at Mr. Hiddle's residence to discuss the idea. This was attended by nine people, only three of whom, Messrs. F. F., Powell, F. J. J. Rowe and J. D. Hiddle, are still members of the Club.
They—brave fellows—estimated that the green could be constructed and a Club House built for approximately £2,500, and decided that this figure was: well within their capacity to organise.
A public meeting was then advertised for October 3, with the purpose of forming a Bowling Club. This was attended by nineteen people, under the Chairmanship of Mr. E. E. Powell.
Mr. Hiddle informed the meeting that he was prepared to make a gift to the Club, free from all encumbrances, of approximately one acre of ground for the purpose of forming a Bowling Club.
It was resolved unanimously by the meeting that a Bowling Club be formed on the land offered by Mr. Hiddle, and that, the name of the Club be the Lynndon Bowling Club, taking its name from that of the estate of which it formed part.
A committee was then elected, and from that beginning has grown the Club and amenities you now enjoy.
From this date, Martin McNamara took over the Chairman-ship which position he held until his retirement in mid-1952.
He was succeeded by C. C. Leaver, who took over, in an acting capacity, for the latter six months of 1952 to be elected president for the two ensuing years, 1953-54
Mr. Sid Higgins graced the President's Chair in 1955, whilst Mr. Don McKenzie has occupied that position since 1956.
To detail the trials, disappointment and triumphs leading up to the first game played on the green would take volumes. Suffice to say that on Saturday, April 26, 1952, the first roll up took place on the green. After two years of hard work it was indeed a red letter day.
At this time all building construction was under the control of the Federal Government, and no matter how we tried, permission could not be obtained to erect any new structure to serve as a Club House.
So, our first pavilion was a 16ft. x 16ft. Auto tent, lent by one of the members. Many was the time when the owner had to race down to the green to replace pulled out pegs and fallen po1es, for in those days it had not forgotten how to rain and storm.
Despite the inconvenience, members managed to enjoy themselves, and when after about six month the Club managed to purchase an ex-army building for re-erection on the ground, the new building seemed palatial by contrast.
During 1953 we obtained a special lease from the State Government over sufficient land adjoining our own to form a second green. This green is now completed and has been playing for some time, although the green keeper is nursing it so as to get a good mat of grass on the surface of it.
The new Club House was first mooted during Mr. Sid Higgins term in 1955, but it was not until late 1956 that plans were finally prepared and approved.
The building was designed by Club Members and erected by their supervision which, although entailing a longer period of construction, saved the Club some considerable sum of money.
Because the majority of our members were new to the game of bowls the Club has not carried off any honors in Q.B.A. competitions, although twice it was runner up in its section to the ultimate winners of the division pennant.
However, in 1957, it was successful in winning the Foy Shield, an annual competition held between Southside Clubs, which we hope will lead to further honors.
LYNNDON BOWLS CLU.B I N-C
1950 - 1990
LYNNDON BOWLS CLUB INC
THE FORTIETH ANNIVERSARY OCTOBER, 1990
Ask a half dozen people to each write a history of an organization and you will get six different versions, depending upon the priorities each writer places on the material before them. Similarly with a history of Lynndon Bowls Club Inc. Some will sift through hundreds of Council meeting minutes and 40 Annual Reports and will highlight certain activities. So this potted history is only one aspect and deals with some of the trials and tribulations, the successes and the human and, at times, humorous side of activities. Long-standing Members could dredge up personal memories of their experiences, an advantage not available to newer members.
* * *
They were ideal ingredients for a successful venture - a community -minded man with a one acre overgrown gully, which would have been too costly to subdivide, and a friend who had imagination and vision. -
J D Hiddle had the ground, and his businessman friend Bruce Martin of Wilston was the original thinker. Martin, a bowler, suggested to Jack Middle that the gully area night be made into a bowling green. Jack Middle pondered this long and hard and finally decided it was worth the effort.
Too much emphasis cannot be placed on the generosity of Jack Hiddle. How many people in a position today to give something tangible to the community are prepared to do so? That one act of his 40 years ago has led to hundreds of men and women reveling in the playing and fellowship of bowls. We owe Jack Middle a great debt.
Imagine standing looking at the overgrown gully, the receptacle of lots and lots of water particularly during storms. Surrounded on three sides by high ground, the gully was at least ten feet below the surrounding area, and below the gully was a six feet diameter storm water drain. Bob Gillies recalls that if you stood on the then unbuilt Dittmer area and tried to look at the finished Middle green you could not do so because of the depth of the Dittmer area. Turn it into a perfectly level bowling green? That gully? What optimism and courage! Most of us would have walked away at the enormity of the task.
Those who did not walk away were the nine people/who in August, 1950 met at Jack Hiddle's home in Sterculia Avenue to discuss the idea. They resolved that the clearing, levelling and drainage of the area, the building of the green and erection of a clubhouse would cost the equivalent of $5000, a fairly hefty sum in those days.
A few months later, on the 3rd October, 1950 a public meeting which drew 19 people, with Mr. E. E. Powell as Chairman, decided to take the plunge, with the club name to be Lynndon, after the estate of which the ground formed part.
It took two years of really hard work to get that green ready for bowls. With a surprisingly good membership of around 50 the first roll-up took place on Saturday, 25th April, 1952. Of those 50 men only two had played bowls before! So the rest were lined up and fold, "OK, you're a skip, you're a lead" and so on. Now that must have been a hilarious time but who cared, they'd worked long and hard to reach that stage.
At that time, a few years after the end of the Second World War, there were restrictions on the building of structures other than homes and some commercial premises. So, no bowls clubhouse. Col Leaver, the first Senior Vice President, provided a 16' by 16' auto tent for afternoon teas. The tent suffered badly in storms and was finally written off. To replace the tent the club bought an ex-Army fibro hut for $100. This was dismantled and erected by members on a day - as some notes reveal - "When all of the pubs were shut", (actually it was Good Friday).
In May, 1952 a Ladies Club was formed, the Hiddle home again the venue for the meeting. The green was not yet available for ladies weekday play but the men invited then along on Sundays (116d green fee) with the proceeds going to the ladies. Finally, Thursdays were allocated to the ladies who had done so much to help bring the Lynndon Club into being.
Meanwhile, back in the Members' Committee, as it was then called, the men were refining their administrative procedures, including the rules for the reconciliation of accounts etc. The minutes of the meeting of 28 May 1952 showed, among other things, that five gallons of XXXX cost the equivalent of $7, 12 dozen boxes of matches $2.50 and five pounds of (real) cheese 12/6th The Asst Providore, the late Jack Rowe, was thanked and reimbursed for allowing the club to use the electricity supply from his home. Each member was asked to contribute ten bob for crockery purchases. The greenkeeper asked for 120 pine trees for planting along the Eastern and Northern boundaries at a cost of $7 a hundred less 20%. Matters outstanding were the erection of a permanent clubhouse and the erection of sanitary conveniences.
On finances, the Trustees of the club had executed a first mortgage over the club property for $3000, a sum guaranteed by several generous members. The security was the freehold land valued then by the Council of Brisbane at $500. The present land of two greens and clubhouse is now valued at $100,000. Debentures were issued to Members and the interest (in December 1951) was 5%.
Not a group to stand idle, the Club made application for a lease of the adjoining crown land for a second green. Officialdom said no, the block was to be levelled and subdivided into building blocks. But, as we know, that decision didn't deter the members. Later, the refusal by the Lands Dept. to grant a lease over a proposed second green softened, thanks to the influence of Senator Dr Felix Dittmer, and the OK was given.
To celebrate the victory a Guy Fawkes party night was held on the now Dittmer green! And plans and specifications were drawn up for the building of the green.
Back on the Hiddle green, green fees were reduced to 2/6d and fees on trophy days were set at 4/-d and a trophy valued at four guineas. It was moved in committee that a lock be put on the gates in Sterculia Avenue to safeguard the green from stray cattle. The committee resolved to try to recover from Hunter Bros the sum of 24/6 for the repair of the Galsworthy Street gate and fence damaged by the sanitary service. Jack Rowe kindly allowed the greenkeeper to use the shower under the Rowe house and the President offered to donate the timber for an equipment shed.
In 1954 the membership had grown to 105 and in August that year plans were prepared for the construction of the second green, with Thiess Bros to do the excavation work. The Club credit stood at $130, and the greenkeeper's wages were increased by $2 to $15 a week plus $1 for attending the bar on Saturday afternoons. There was talk about the imposition of new taxes on beer and the cost of 'a 5oz beer was increased to 9d. Green fees were 6/- for three games of 15 ends.
In 1956 the club sought from the City Council approval of the site for a clubhouse. This was granted and a tender for the construction of the clubhouse was accepted. It was not completed until 1957 at a cost it seems of $7000. It was officially opened by a member of the then QBA before 240 people who sat down to a gala high tea. Strangely, copious notes
about the planning and construction of the building appear non-existent, as are the plans themselves. As we will see later, alterations and extensions were carried out to the clubhouse in 1971.
To get enough water for hosing purposes a water diviner was hired. He said that there should be sufficient water for all needs. Later, a bore was sunk to 90 feet where water was encountered but not in sufficient quantities for the needs of the club.
In the bar the cost of a ½ scotch was 1/-d and 2d for a soft drink. A bottle of beer was 3/4d and bottled oysters were stocked. On 21 February 1958 the hall was hired by Jack Middle for his daughter's birthday, and there was a wedding party shortly after which yielded three guineas for the club. In that year, too, the second green (Dittmer) was in
use but was plagued by massive drainage problems, with water not getting away.
There was a discussion as to why the bar was closed to Ladies between 4.p.m. and 5p.m. and it was moved that "Ladies be given permission to use the facilities of the clubhouse from start of play to 5.p.m. Septic tanks were installed doing away with the old E.Cs. The Ladies Club donated $500 as a deposit on a cold room. Later a refrigerator unit was installed at a cost of $520.
In 1961 benefactor Jack Hiddle resigned as President because of ill health. He was a Life Member. Jack died in 1965 and was accorded a flagpole ceremony.
In committee it was moved that "Members be not allowed to purchase bulk beer or spirits from the Club". The motion was soundly defeated. Bar takings were running at around $700 a month. Bulimba Beer was installed. The minutes spoke of "Members rejection of Bulimba Beer". A few months later it was reported that "Bulimba wish to withdraw their facilities". Mr Fourex had won out. The price of rum, brandy and gin was 9d a ½ nip and 1/3d a full nip.
The ladies were given permission to extend the kitchen by absorbing the then selector’s room, and they were to be responsible for the conversion of the office to a suitable selector’s room. The greens continued to play badly and the QBA was asked for advice. The trouble on the Hiddle green was caused by a layer, of clay 4" thick at a depth of 9". The Dittmer green had insufficient drainage.
Dr Dittmer said the road outside the clubhouse was in a bad condition and suggested that the Secretary write to him and he would follow it up! Nice to have a friend at Court.
By 1964 membership had risen to 158 and green fees were increased from 3/- to 14/_ for Saturday afternoons. The club was gearing up for decimal currency. Plans for sewering the area were in hand, and a tender for $1300 was received to replace the ditchboards on the Hiddle green. The Agricultural Department recommended the replacement of the existing pine trees with lemon scented ti-trees to enable the grass to dry out. And, would you believe, it was moved that "the bar be closed during afternoon tea on playing days". The Providore reported that the "Till reading was balancing since he had
been taking all monies home". The ladies donated $350 for a new glass washer in the bar, and they donated a deep freezer.
The RQBA received a reply from the Licensing Commission relating to ladies drinking in the bar on men's days. Our minutes stated that "our local rule still applies and ladies may only be served outside the bar area in the pavilion on men's days”
In 1969 a master plan was prepared. It envisaged the extension of the bar and the reorganisation of the interior and exterior of the assembly hall. There was a discussion on the provision of lights on one green for nighttime bowls at a cost of $2000. As we know, the lights did not come on.
Early in 1970 reports said a new bar would be built to have an area of 1490 square feet (three times the then:exiting bar). One member said "we would then have one of the biggest bars I had seen". The President thanked "all those members who rallied to the Club when the greens were flooded. Their prompt action saved the greens. Neighbors helped locate jacks submerged on the greens and they helped members start their cars". Later, there was a letter of appreciation for members who had helped put out a fire in a house across the street. And Bob Gillies was the winner of the club consistency competition.
The Dittmer green, which had been held on special lease, received energetic support from Dr Dittmer, the Patron, for the club to buy the ground on one tenth deposit on ten year terms. Martin McNamara, who had been President in 1951 and again in 1952, did most of the behind-the-scenes groundwork to ensure that Lynndon obtained freehold of the land.
In December, 1970 tenders were called for the proposed club extensions to cost around $35,000. By May, 1971 work was well under way and the job was completed in December, 1971. That year, too, a player was criticised for rolling-up in shorts, and surprise surprise, twilight bowls were played from 5.00.p.m. to 6.30.p.m. with fees set at 40c.
The committee reported that "the request from the Ladies Club as to where they could sit on a men's playing day was defined as the North East portion of the bar". (no compasses were issued). In May, 1973 Vic Payne won the "B" Singles, Paul Hilton the Novice and Clarry Parr and his mates won the Triples and Fours. And George Messinbird was thanked for the Xmas decorations.
In 1973 a Combined Social Committee of men and women was formed, and we all know what a tremendous job that committee has done over the years, with more than $30,000 being donated to the men's club.
1974 was the year of the big flood, the greens were unusable, the Dittmer green was out of action for three months, and the pennants were called off. The Jack Rowe Memorial Shield started in 1974 with annual games between Lynndon and Norman Park Services. Lynndon has won most of the contests.
In 1975 a special meeting was held concerning the introduction of tift dwarf greens. The reconstruction of the Dittmer green prior to any planting of tift dwarf greens was to cost $9944, including a Government subsidy. The Annual Report of that year mentioned Key Coleman, the Junior Vice President in charge of art unions as "The best in the biz". Annual
fees were $20.
1975 was the silver anniversary of the first meeting of the committee and a grand dance was held to celebrate the event.
Bowls testing was a big thing in the mid-seventies and the RQBA reported that in 1976 30,000 bowls had been tested and mention was made that clubs were not testing bowls prior to pennant play. And the RQBA gave
permission "For shorts to be used in roll-ups but not for organised play".
Greenkeeper Lance Beamish started with Lynndon in 1977. The insurance company representative visited the club and said Lynndon security was poor and that we should have a security guard!. A 3oz beer cost 16c, 5oz 22c, 7oz 30c. and 10oz 39c. In its first thirty years of existence Lynndon had reciprocal visiting arrangements with Condong, Toogoolawah and with Toowoomba clubs.
1976/77 saw the reconstruction of the Dittmer green with tift dwarf and the green was out for six months. In that year $14,000 was spent on the greens and surrounds. Patron Felix Dittmer, who had been so helpful to the club for many years, died.
In 1980 the Hiddle green got the tift dwarf treatment. Ever so gradually most of the Lynndon greens drainage problems were being overcome. In a way the 1980s have been "housekeeping" years at Lynndon. Most of the major undertakings had been finished but there was still steady activity, particularly in maintenance.
Throughout its existence the Club has had its "special" days led by Diggers Day. The Maytime Carnival and latterly the Lynndon 1000 in October have been very successful in lifting Lynndon's profile, thanks in part
to the members who have done the promotional work and to the sponsors who donated generously. In 1984 the first Endeavour Day began and the club was named a host club for the Commonwealth Games.
Some people say that Lynndon is not a "competitive" club, as compared with other clubs which have much larger memberships from which to draw competition players. Maybe this is so but the club has won some pennant competitions - the 6th Division in 1960, 4th Division in 1980 and the 6th Division in 1986. There have been many times when we've been pipped on the post. Away back in the mid-fifties, Lynndon won the Foy Shield a couple of times. The Shield was played among all Southside clubs.
On the social side, there have been dances since the fifties. At one stage they languished but came back stronger than ever. Earlier there were card evenings and bingo. Bingo loomed large for a while but disappeared like a bucket of water poured into the desert. Barbecues have been great events for .a long time and recently the area was roofed. Annual fetes have been big money spinners.
After reading the minutes of 400 Council meetings one cannot but feel sympathy for greenkeepers. They are a much maligned race. Lynndon greenkeepers faced enormous problems, probably more so than many other clubs whose sites 'are more conducive to good drainage. But our keepers battled on despite the problems (and the armchair critics). In 1990 we have greens we can be proud of.
Bob Gillies is our only survivor from the very beginning. He is a Life Member. Bob has been a tireless worker for the club, on and off Council, and deserves special praise. One Minute way back said,. "Bob Gillies the Providore did a very fine job but at every meeting the members lived in horror, every time Bob opened his mouth we were up for at least $400. The refrigerator, glass washing machine, cash registers and the Temprite were all products of his fertile imagination,
so you can imagine how frightened we were to hear him! High praise indeed. Thanks, Bob, we wish you many years of continued membership.
The Ladies have always been there willing to help. Since 1950 they have raised over $100,000, about $80,000 of which has gone to the men's club, and they've paid more than $30,000 in green fees. As well, they have donated a lot of equipment. And, arm in arm, with the men, via the Combined Social Committee, over $30,000 has gone to the men's club. Their catering has been excellent.
A valuable change has been the Incorporation of the Lynndon Club which gives protection to members from being personally liable in claims against the club. Strangely, back in 1983 the RQBA Hon Solicitor circularised the clubs by letter stating that Incorporation "was not really desirable".
The decentralisation of bowls administration into Districts was a very good move and is working well.
It would be impossible to list members who have been the mainstays of the club. They know who they are. The House Committee, in particular, with its small army of helpers, has always been in the thick of things. The Bar and Social Committees Games Promotion, Games Directors, Selectors, Greens Directors, District Reps, Art Union people and the Providores have had some outstanding workers. This estimated ten percent of the membership has kept the club healthy and happy. One has to single out two people for special praise because of their long and meritorious service - Secretary Hugh Jolly and Treasurer Bob Ockelford. And, as most of us would realise, Lynndon has probably not had a President who wasn't worth the trust placed in him. As for Patrons, only two in 40 years. Firstly, Felix Dittrner until 1977 and Ted Cross, twice President, from 1977 - valuable service Ted has given to Lynndon.
In its secluded setting which gives an air of cosiness, and despite floods, beer strikes, robberies, shortage of money, a few whingers, poor drainage and being pipped in many a pennant game, Lynodon has established itself as a very desirable club. For most people it has provided a happy lifestyle and a haven from the hurlyburly of life.
As for Jack Hiddle, when you're out there on the greens and the bell rings, pause a moment, for that ship's bell was presented to the club by Jack.
No doubt there will be an update on club history for the Golden Anniversary in the year 2000.A.D. Hope we're around for it Good Bowling.
LYNNDON BOWLS CLUB
In keeping with events that frequently occurred among the earlier families of the Mt Gravatt area, many of the families married locally.
Such was the case with John David (Jack) Hiddle and Florence May Glindemann when they married at the Mowbraytown Presbyterian Church, Mowbray Terrace, East Brisbane in August 1934.
Florence Glindemann was the granddaughter of Conrad senior and Magdalene Glindemann, who first settled on Logan Road in Mt Gravatt in 1864.
Jack Hiddle and Florence Glindemann at their wedding at the Mowbraytown Presbyterian Church, East Brisbane in August 1934.
Jack and Flo Hiddle lived in Sterculia Avenue on a nine-acre block, given to Jack by his father. The land had previously been a Soldier Settlement poultry farm.
It was at their home in Sterculia Avenue that Jack and Flo had their children, Donald John, Florence Lynn, Lloyd Conrad and Rae.
Passing through Jack Hiddle's block was a deep overgrown gully, that during periods of heavy rain, carried a large volume of water. The nature of this gully suggested it would be a very costly area to sub-divide.
1944 aerial photograph showing Sterculia Avenue, the home of Jack Hiddle and the proposed location of the Lynndon Bowls Club.
1. Sterculia Avenue.
2. Jack Hiddle house - (Soldier Settlement House).
3. Future location of Lynndon Bowls Club. (1952).
4. Ben Driver house - (Soldier Settlement House).
5. Smith's Paddock.
6. Logan Road.
7. Glindemann third house. (1880).
8. Houses built from recycled German Bridge Hotel demolition timber. (1930).
9. American Army Hospital. (1943).
Jack Hiddle was fortunate in having a business friend in Bruce Martin, a keen bowler. He made the suggestion to Jack Hiddle that perhaps the problem gully area could be made into a bowling green.
After having thought for a long time about Bruce Martin's suggestion, Jack Hiddle decided to make the effort and give the prospect a go.
As a result of his decision, nine people met at Jack Hiddle's home in Sterculia Avenue on 30th August 1950, to discuss the idea of a bowling green.
Following the first discussion, a public meeting to which 19 people attended, was held on 3rd October 1950. It was decided at this meeting chaired by Mr E. E. Powell, that they would go ahead with the development of a bowling green in the gully area.
Picture of Galsworthy Street looking westwards, early 1950s.
As a mark of his community minded nature and generosity, Jack Hiddle made a donation of one acre of his land, embracing the gully area, to the proposed bowling club. In recognition and appreciation of his generosity, Jack Hiddle was made a life member of the yet to be developed bowling club.
The bowling club, in recognition of Jack Hiddle's gesture, was to be named the LYNNDON BOWLS CLUB, a combination of portions of his children's names, Florence LYNN and DONald.
Once the decision to proceed with the bowling green had been taken, it took a further two years of dedicated hard work by the genuine volunteers before the first green was ready for bowls.
The preparation of the first bowling green.
What a day was Saturday, 26th April 1952, when a surprisingly good membership of approximately 50 people turned up at the first roll-up, to launch and enjoy the benefits of the new Lynndon Bowls Club.
A game of bowls in earlier days.
Mr Martin McNamara, the foundation Chairman and President of the bowls club, through his employment in Local Government, did a lot of work in the formative years of the bowling club.
Due to post Second World War building restrictions, it was not possible to immediately build a clubhouse, so Cal Leaver, the first Senior Vice-President provided the use of a 16' by 16' tent in which to have afternoon tea.
As the tent suffered badly from the effects of the weather, it was replaced by an ex-Army fibro hut bought by the club for £100. The hut was dismantled at its location and reassembled at the bowls club in a day by the enthusiastic members.
The large attendance of people who participated in the opening of the "Hiddle" green at the Lynndon Bowls Club on Saturday, 26th April 1952.
Once again, the Hiddle home was the venue for a meeting in May 1952, to form a Ladies' Club. The energetic Ladies' Club, who it was arranged would play on a Thursday, has proved to be a positive asset to the Lynndon Bowls Club.
Being always willing to help, the Ladies' Club between 1950 and 1990 raised in excess of $100,000. About $80,000 had been handed over to the Men's Club.
The Ladies' Club, during that time had paid more than $30,000 in green fees. As members of the combined social committee, they have in that time passed a further $30,000 to the Men's Club, a really outstanding effort.
Following the granting of a lease on Crown land adjoining the bowling club, made possible by the influence of the Club's Patron, Senator Dr Felix Dittmer, plans were made in August 1954 for the construction of the second green. The club membership had extended to 105 at that time.
Having obtained approval from the Brisbane City Council in 1956 of a site on which to build a clubhouse, tenders were called, and construction of the clubhouse commenced. The clubhouse was not completed until 1957 at a reported cost of £3500 ($7,000).
The official opening in February 1958 of the new Clubhouse completed in 1957, and the second green "Dittmer" green, recently put into use at that time.
In 1958, the second green was in use, but was plagued with severe drainage problems with the water not getting away as it should. This second green was named the "Dittmer Green" in recognition of the effort made by the Club Patron, Senator Dr Felix Dittmer, to secure the lease of the Crown land on which it was built.
Jack Hiddle, donor of the land for which he was made a life member, resigned in 1961 as President of the bowls club due to ill health. Jack passed away in 1965 and was accorded a flagpole ceremony.
Our Clubhouse on a quiet Christmas Sunday 1957-8.
The bowls club Patron, Senator Dr Felix Dittmer gave strong support to the bowls club to purchase the "Dittmer" green which was located on Crown land and held on a special lease. Through Felix Dittmer's efforts, very reasonable purchase terms were arranged. Dr Felix Dittmer, a most enthusiastic supporter of the Lynndon Bowls Club for many years, died in 1977.
In December 1970, tenders were called for the extension of the clubhouse, anticipated to cost $35,000. The work was fully completed in December 1971.
Jack Hiddle checking the score during a First Division Pennants game against the New Farm Bowls Club.
There has been a continued saga of events over the years at the Lynndon Bowls Club in relation to expansion, development, improvement and changes to Executives in both Men's and Ladies' Clubs. Important matches were won and lost, and all other things associated with the operations of a modern and progressive Bowls Club.